Four Points by Sheraton Arusha, The Arusha Hotel

P.O. Box 88, Fire Road, Clocktower Roundabout, Plot 2, Arusha, Tanzania, United Republic Of   •   Local Time:     •  Phone: +255 27 250 7777  


The History of Four Points by Sheraton Arusha, The Arusha Hotel, Tanzania

Four Points by Sheraton Arusha, The Arusha Hotel set the precedence for hotel accommodation in the new and undeveloped town of Arusha, when first built in 1894. It was a time of horse drawn buggies and classic cars, which took quite a beating on the unpaved roads and tracks. The hotel signified a pleasant resting place for those travelling from as far as the Cape or Cairo and all corners of Old East Africa. Its status soon became synonymous with travellers, pioneers and adventurers looking for welcoming accommodation or a refreshment stop during long gruelling journeys into the outback.

The year 1927 marked a cornerstone in the hotel’s history, when American banker, and personal friend of Teddy Roosevelt, Kenyon Painter, bought the property. After some extensive changes, the hotel sealed its reputation as Arusha’s first and foremost hotel. Its grand opening, in December 1927, saw the Prince of Wales as guest of honour and over the years it became the chosen resting place for many a famous guest including Baron Von Blixen (of Out of Africa fame)

Throughout history and time, Four Points by Sheraton Arusha, The Arusha Hotel has been a centre point and main attraction of Arusha. The famous John Wayne’s movie was shot in the vicinity and the hotel’s famous HATARI Bar was John Wayne’s local watering hole.

During the 1970’s, after Tanzania gained independence, the hotel was nationalised and run by the government. As the country was liberalised in the 1990’s, the hotel was privatised and restored to its former glory.

In recent years, ‘The Arusha Hotel’ welcomed many high-profile guests including President Clinton, Hollywood icons Will & Jada Smith, actress Jessica Biel, pop star Shaggy and South Africa’s singing legend, Miriam Makeba.

Looking at old photographs of the hotel, which have been treasured and preserved, one can still recognise its original architecture, cleverly redesigned to suit the twentieth century. Throughout its long history from protectorate East Africa – Tanganyika, to a proud and growing Republic of Tanzania, the hotel has maintained a status and character that optimizes continuity and values, with a touch of nostalgia beautifully balanced with the needs of the modern world.

Today it stands as Arusha’s first ever Internationally branded hotel, Four Points by Sheraton Arusha, The Arusha Hotel.